Sunday, August 2, 2026

Reflections on Twenty Four Years with a Natural Lawn

For the last twenty four years I've maintained a "natural" lawn. It's a practice that some would encourage, even many of the highly skilled Master Gardener Volunteers I had the privilege of working with over the years. There are various justifications for such an approach, from laziness to valuing plant diversity to concerns about intensive turf management practices. 

In our case, it was simply following the path of least resistance. When Kate and I bought our woodlot in Vance County, the cost of the land, well and septic left us just enough to buy a used single-wide mobile home to live in. There was nothing left for landscaping or lawn installation. We then immediately began saving up to build our forever home, so turf remained low on the priority list. The cycle repeated seven years later when the walls began rising on our little cottage, tucked deep in the woods. 

The results are interesting if nothing else. Although I've not done a systematic inventory, I suspect there are at least a dozen different grass species, scores of broadleaf plants and a fair representation from the moss category. Turf professionals would rightfully place 95% of these plants in the "weed" category. 

The appearance of this expanse of vegetation is far from uniform. A botanist could likely find five or ten different species in any given square yard. There are, however, patches where a particular species is dominant. Said patches grow at different rates and differ in color and texture. Life cycles vary as well, with a marked change in composition from winter to spring to summer. It actually looks good right after mowing...for about a day and a half. 

Crabgrass is the dominant species, creating a fairly dense and fast growing cover over much of the yard through the heat of the summer. As summer wanes, I'm careful not to mow too frequently, allowing it to set seed for next season. It dies in the winter, allowing me a break from mowing. While the dead foliage and roots provide some soil protection, the erosion potential is higher compared to a permanent turfgrass. 

A decent case can be made that such a lawn benefits pollinators, especially in early spring when the broadleaf weeds are blooming. Reducing mowing frequency in early spring enhances that benefit by letting more plants bloom. That said, a good portion of those weed species are non-native, a strong argument against the "natural" nomenclature. 

I would also argue that turf management done right is perfectly harmonious with the natural world. There's no better way to prevent erosion. Water resources can be protected by using slow release fertilizers at the correct time and rate, with buffers around streams and ponds. Insecticides are almost never necessary. Water usage can be minimized by irrigating deeply and infrequently. And the key to good weed control is to plant and maintain a thick stand of turf, allowing herbicide applications to be rare and targeted. 

Quality turf does require more work, but I think the difference is less than many imagine. Mowing is required either way, and accounts for the largest portion of maintenance time. 

Yes, plant diversity is vital in our gardens and landscapes, but that can be accomplished in shrub and flower beds rather than in lawns. In truth, I enjoy the varied shades and textures in my own "natural" yard, although at times it could generously be described as unkempt and I pay the price of more weeds in my landscape beds. 

A natural lawn certainly has its charms, but properly maintained turfgrass is likely a better option for most. The NCSU TurfFiles website has all the details on how to do it successfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment