Sunday, April 10, 2016

My Photography Workflow

Below is the description of my current photography workflow.

I shoot with an Olympus PEN E-PL1 micro four thirds format digital camera. I mostly use the kit lens that came with the camera, a 14-42 mm zoom. When shooting close-up/macro, I set it to manual focus. I also have a 40-150 mm zoom. Also note that my camera is set to record each image in both RAW and jpeg format. Camera is set to take three images in sequence at three different exposure settings.

Here's what happens when I return home from a shoot. Note that on a typical shoot I might create 30 to 100 images.
  1. Remove SD card from camera and load into computer.
  2. Transfer jpeg files only to my "Review" folder on the computer hard drive, then delete them from the SD card. Leave RAW files on SD card.
  3. Review images. Select the best and transfer corresponding RAW files from SD card to "Review" folder on computer hard drive. Delete the rest from computer and SD card.
  4. Edit RAW version of selected images using Olympus Viewer 3. I use this software because it's free for Olympus camera owners and handles the RAW image format used by Olympus.
  5. Save edited images in jpeg format.
  6. Delete the original jpeg file for that image.
  7. Archive the original RAW file for that image onto an external hard drive.
  8. Transfer edited images into appropriate folders on computer hard drive. I really should start tagging my photos with keywords, but I haven't yet.
  9. About once a month, back up photos to web (I use Amazon Cloud Drive which has unlimited photo storage for Amazon Prime members). I should do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment