Sunday, July 3, 2016

A July Fourth Photo

Replica of a merchant ship at Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo, NC
When I snapped this photo a couple of  weeks ago, I was in fact hoping it would make a good July Fourth #dailyphoto post for my Facebook page. I feel such pride and good fortune to live in the United States of America. Thirteen bars and fifty stars!

I didn't want to post it without a bit of background on the ship, and as I began to research I realized that my knowledge of the early history of our nation is cloudy and mired in myth (What year was it that Christopher Columbus landed in Jamestown with the Pilgrims?).

The ship is a replica of one that came to Roanoke Island, NC from England in 1585. I am in awe of the bravery and hubris of the women and men that made those early voyages. The very existence of this grand experiment in democracy and freedom rests on their shoulders. And yet in many cases they were driven by motives of wealth and conquest, knights on the chessboard of European nations battling each other to expand empires and acquire riches. The unfathomable carnage they inflicted on Native Americans hardly needs mention (except that it does).

And yet, somehow it all led to the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution and freedom of the press and assembly and religion and to own a gun and to disagree with each other and attend County Commissioner and School Board meetings and let your views be known. We have made great strides in equality and justice for all people. Yes, we have miles to go on that journey, but one of the best things about the people of this nation is that we seem to believe we can make a difference, make things better, become even greater.

This November, we have an important choice to make, and by all the rhetoric you might think the future of our nation depends on the outcome. But I believe our nation is strong, full of good people making a difference in their communities, showing each other compassion, doing small acts of good on a daily basis.

I don't mean to discount the struggles, tragedy, injustice, hate and violence that many people face. But I'm coming around to the idea that small acts of love are more important than we realize, that there's no telling how far the ripples will extend. These are my complicated feelings about a July Fourth photo. In the end, I believe, it comes down to this; be a pebble, make some ripples.

No comments:

Post a Comment