Monday, April 14, 2014

Readiness

There are many different degrees of preparedness, from the standard 72-hour kit recommended by the American Red Cross, to those who plan for survival in the case of complete social and economic collapse (often referred to as SHTF, or when the "S@&* Hits the Fan"). To each his or her own, of course, but surely there is some value in considering how to deal with various difficult situations.

From 9/11 to Katrina to the tsunami and nuclear disaster in Japan, there are many possible events that could disrupt utilities, transportation, communication and more. Closer to home and higher on the probability scale are situations like Hurricane Fran, or ice and snow storms that leave large numbers without power for several days.

In this post I will describe my own level of readiness for different situations. In each case I try to consider hygiene, shelter, food, water, first aid, pets and how to pass the time.

SITUATION: IN VEHICLE, CAN'T GET HOME
In recent years there have been a couple of instances where folks in the Triangle were stuck on the interstate for many hours due to icy conditions. You also occasionally hear in the news about someone who goes over an embankment and isn't found for a few days. In each vehicle, I keep some non-perishable food, bottled water, blankets, dog leash and water dish, matches, tools, toothbrush, dental floss, soap, towel, change of cloths, toilet paper, other hygiene items as needed, basic tools and first aid kit. Handiwipes are indispensable. We could sleep reasonably comfortably in the SUV, if necessary. However, in the truck I keep a tarp so I could create a makeshift shelter (or cover a couch I'm hauling home!). I try to fill the gas tank whenever it gets below half full.

SITUATION: IN SOMEONE ELSE'S VEHICLE, CAN'T GET HOME
Adhesive bandages, foil, duct tape, string, matches. Takes up
little space, but potentially very handy.
This is tougher, as you don't know how prepared the driver is. For me, this situation is most likely to occur at work, traveling with someone to a meeting in Greensboro or Raleigh. I always carry a water bottle and a few snacks. In my computer bag I carry some basic supplies such as tissue, handiwipes, adhesive bandages and matches. I almost always have a multitool and handkerchief, and a few books and podcasts loaded on my tablet, iPod or phone (I NEVER leave home without earbuds!). It's also easy to carry a small length of string, small flashlight and a bit of duct tape (not a whole roll, just a few feet wrapped around itself). I may add water purification tablets or a small filter to my bag and an emergency rain poncho. Don't forget special medications you may need. I think it's also important to consider how you are dressed in case you need to hike a ways (or carry extra clothes/shoes).

SITUATION: AT HOME, NO UTILITIES
Small propane heater,
uses widely available
1-pound canisters.

Everyone should be prepared for a few days with no utilities. In our case, we get our water from a well, so if the electricity goes we also lose our water (although I may look at converting the well to solar power). But even those of you on municipal water might consider storing some bottled water (we keep about 30 gallons on hand, and it has to be rotated out about once a year). Consider, for example, the recent issue with water contamination in West Virginia. We are never without a good supply of food, plus we have the ability to cook (2-burner campstove) and heat the house (both a fireplace and a small propane heater*). I keep copious numbers of batteries of all sizes.

After I took up deer hunting, I decided it was time to invest in a small generator. I'm unwilling to risk losing all that meat to an extended power outage, so I want to be able to keep power to the refrigerator at least. Having a generator means you need to keep gas on hand. I try to keep a few gallons, and rotate the supply to keep it fresh.

SITUATION: EVACUATION
If pets will come with you, be sure to
bring some basic supplies.
This scenario is probably more likely for those of you who live in a city. However, I do keep some supplies organized that we could "grab and go" in a hurry. This includes a tent, sleeping bags, food, water, clothes, toiletries, small campstove, cooking/eating utencils, pet supplies, etc. I also have a deck of cards and a couple of paperbacks in the bag. If we had to evacuate, we'd take the SUV, for which we have a cargo basket that attaches to the back and a cargo bag for the roof. If needed, we could carry the gasoline I keep on hand in case fuel is scarce on the road. Many believe you should store your evacuation supplies in a backpack so you can leave on foot if necessary.

Don't forget important documents, medications, the backup copy of computer files, and the video of your child's first birthday, in case your house is at risk due to wildfire, flooding, etc.

If we had more time to prepare, and didn't expect the road to be clogged with traffic, we would consider hooking up the travel trailer (we could have it packed and ready in under two hours).

Of course, most likely if we DID have to evacuate, we'd just go to a nearby hotel, friend's house, or stay with family. So I'm probably way over-prepared. But then again, I'm preparing for the unexpected, the thing that seems like it could never happen, or the thing we couldn't even imagine.

A CONTINUOUS PROCESS
Readiness, obviously, takes money. You can, of course, build up your supplies gradually over time. Also, many of the supplies are things we would use and purchase anyway (e.g. cans of soup and batteries).

It also takes time. There's the initial process of obtaining and organizing the needed items. But that's not the end, as supplies must be inspected and rotated, and plans and materials must be periodically reevaluated. For example, I'm thinking of buying dehydrated food for my evacuation kit, as it's lighter than canned and has a long shelf life. I find, however, that with each review I become more and more confident in my level of preparedness.

To state the obvious, your needs will vary greatly depending on your family situation. And you may want to prepare to a greater or lesser degree than I have, or for a different set of scenarios. In any case, I hope that, like me, it will provide some peace of mind for you and your family.

Here are a couple of handy, low-cost items I found on Amazon:
1. Campstove for power outage or evacuation.
2. Water filter for home or carry bag.

DISCLAIMER: This is in NO WAY intended to be a comprehensive treatment of the subject of preparedness, just a brief review of some of the preparations I have made for entertainment purposes only. Mostly, it was just an excuse to post another pet picture on the internet.

*Portable propane heaters have the potential to produce DEADLY carbon monoxide. Read and follow all manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment