Sunday, March 1, 2015

How Does Timberwalkers Get His Work Done? [another question no one asked, finally answered]

Every week the Lifehacker website posts interviews with noteworthy people who share insights into their work life. They share their secrets to being productive, as well as information about the tools and software they use. For kicks, I decided to answer the questions myself. You can read my answers below, or even better, click here to read about people who are actually, you know, interesting. Even better than that, click here for a list of the questions and post your own answers!

Location: Henderson, NC
Current Gig: Ag Extension Agent by day. On nights and weekends I raise pine trees, cut/haul/split firewood, take pictures, write random blog posts, and edit vacation videos.
One word that best describes how you work: Anxiously
Current mobile device: iPod Touch, Generation 5
Current computer: On my desk at home I have a base model Lenovo laptop running Windows 8. For personal travel I have a circa 2005 Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu. At work I have a 12" MacBook Pro, which I love, but frankly I'd be happier if it ran Windows.

What app/software/tools can't you live without? Why?
I'm firmly entrenched in the Google-verse. I use the calendar, productivity software (Drive), blogging platform, maps, and Gmail. I like how they are interconnected/integrated. Also GIMP and Paint.Net, which are free but powerful image editing apps for the desktop.

What's your workspace setup like?
Home workstation
At home I have laptop set up on a stand on my uncle's old writing desk. It's connected to a 15" monitor, giving me two screens. Keyboard is Logitech K120, basic but quite nice. Mouse is wireless, a Logitech M310. My Creative Inspire T10 speakers are quite adequate for filling the living room and kitchen with tunes, and JVC Flats headphones are handy when a certain special someone is watching TV (i.e. ALL THE TIME). At work I plug my MacBook into a second monitor, an Apple "Chiclet" style keyboard and wireless Logitech mouse.

What's your best time-saving shortcut/life hack?
Using Google Calendar to organize and keep up with my schedule, since I can access it from any computer, tablet, etc. I can also "share" it with co-workers so they can keep up with where I am.


What's your favorite to-do list manager?
For personal chores and tasks I use Evernote, which, like Google Calendar, I can view from any computer or device. For work I use this very cool notebook with "re-positionable" pages.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without and why?
My tablet (a 1st generation Kindle Fire). Also my chainsaw. And while I could technically live without it, I absolutely adore my Seiko 5 self-winding watch. When the zombie apocalypse comes and you can't charge your phone, I'll be the guy everyone comes to for the exact time.

What everyday thing are you better at than everyone else?
Felling trees. I've dropped scores of trees and am finally starting to figure out how to sometimes make them more or less fall where I want them to. It's extremely satisfying when it actually happens.

What do you listen to while you work?
Silence. Or the sound of a chainsaw muffled by ear plugs.
My Toshiba Satellite
& Seiko 5

What are you currently reading?
I have trouble finding books I can stick with, but read lots of articles about current events and technology. I also enjoy reading many of the long essays written by bloggers in the Gawker Media domain (e.g. Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Jalopnik, etc.).

Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
Introvert, but I can fake extrovert when needed, and actually find it enjoyable for short bursts.

What's your sleep routine like?
Asleep on the couch by 9:30, in bed by 10 or 11, up by 5 or 5:30.

Fill in the blank: I'd love to see _____________ answer these same questions.
Anyone who reads this. Also, Neil Young or Norah Jones.

What's the best advice you've ever received?
This isn't so much advice, but this is what comes to mind. My Dad showed me by example that you can fix and build things yourself. Following that example has encouraged me to tackle many profoundly satisfying projects (building a shed, end table, countertop, etc.) and saved me thousands of dollars in repair costs. My Mom somehow nurtured my sense of exploration, which has led to many hundreds of exciting adventures, from exploring the woods in the neighborhood, to visiting foreign lands.

Is there anything else you'd like to add that might be interesting to readers?
One of the things that has shaped my life is the realization that big projects are comprised of hundreds or thousands of tiny steps over a long period of time. That has given me the confidence to tackle things that I probably had no business tackling.

No comments:

Post a Comment